Muscle Building Program for Beginners

If you’ve been going to the gym for a few months and you aren’t noticing any difference in your physique, this 3 day muscle building program for beginners is for you.

Muscle building isn’t a science; lift weights, eat, sleep, and repeat.

There is no magical program to add slabs of man meat to your biceps, but there is one thing you should focus on.

Progressive overloading makes your body stronger, builds muscle, and helps you reach your goals.

Goal Of This Workout

This program is designed for beginners who have a grasp on how to complete most exercises and wants to maximize muscle gains.

This program consists of mainly barbell and dumbbell movements which give you the best “bang for your buck” in results.

Diet and Nutrition Tips

Protein – Get plenty of protein into your diet. Whether you use whey protein, meat, or other sources, protein is an essential to building muscle.

Clean up your diet – There’s nothing wrong with eating some Taco Bell every once in a while, but cleaning up your diet is a must. If you cook 80% of your meals at home and enjoy the other 20% out eating, you are going to notice one hell of a jump in your performance and gains.

If you are having a hard time gaining weight and unable to eat more, try adding fats to your meals. Butter, sour cream, cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, heavy whipping cream, and fatty meats will add calories without adding much volume to your diet.

If you are overweight, strive to cut carbs. If you regularly drink regular soda, not drinking it will make you shed pounds fast.

Recommended Supplements

Here are a few supplements I would recommend taking while on this program.

Note: You cannot out-train a shit diet. Get your food intake straight before you start adding supplements.


MTS Nutrition Clash

I personally like apple mango, but all flavors are good.

This is a great blend without too many stimulants.


MTS Machine Whey Protein: 5lbs

This is in my opinion the best tasting protein on the market. Period.

Great blend with no secrets, no amino spiking, and it is some of the best in the industry.

So far I’ve had Red Velvet and Cookies and Cream. Both are A+.


MTS Nutrition Machine Fuel

Marc Lobliner has his sweetening on point with these supplements.

I’ve used mixed berry and grape and I love them both.


Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men

Once you get your diet on point, taking a multi-vitamin is important as a strength athlete.

Get the most of your gains and life with this multi-vitamin.

Cardio and Conditioning Schedule

Cardio and conditioning is important for a healthy lifestyle.

This routine works best with some low intensity steady state training.

Think: walking on a treadmill or riding a bike.

Complete 15-30 minutes of cardio post-workout every time you go to the gym.

This will help with your quality of life and help improve your athleticism.

Cardio and Conditioning Tips

  • Completing a 5-10 minute pre-workout cardio session is great for getting your body primed for exercise.
  • Make cardio fun and go outside and walk around or just get up and move.
  • The more activity you do, the more food you can eat.

Workout Schedule

Here is a sample workout schedule:

  • Monday – Day 1
  • Tuesday – Off
  • Wednesday – Day 2
  • Thursday – Off
  • Friday – Day 3
  • Saturday – Off
  • Sunday – Off

The actual days you go do not matter, but I recommend having 1 day of rest between the next day and then a 2 day rest period.

Muscle Building Program for Beginners

Day 1
Bench Press48
Barbell Row312
Pull Ups312
Tricep Extensions415


Day 2
Military Press48
Face Pulls415
Seated Rows412


Day 3
Goblet Squats415
Machine Bench Press415
Seated Overhead Press48
Lat Pull Downs412
Skull Crushers58

Workout Tips

Progressive Overload – It is important that you strive to add 5 pounds to the bar each week.

Click here for a free Excel document laid out with the 12 week program. Print out for a paper log or use on the computer.


Leave any comments or questions below.

21 thoughts on “Muscle Building Program for Beginners”

    1. I’m guessing you mean how long do you run it, beginners can run programs for up to a year before they start to hit a plateau.

      I would recommend running this for at least 12 weeks.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *